Saturday, March 28, 2009

Punk Rock

I ran into an old friend of mine (I see him every so often) and he said he wanted to post on my facebook during the week because he downloaded an Adolescents cd and it reminded him of me. He said the first time he heard of them was when I made him a cassette of their music when he was a freshman in high school. I remember I got that CD at Soapbox Records on St. Marks Place. It's so funny, I still love that band whenever I hear them. I don't think to listen to them too often, only when I'm feeling nostalgic or trying to channel my punk rock teenager self.

I used to be so into it. When I was 15/16 I had pink hair and purple hair and used to go to shows all the time. My exboyfriend had pink and orange spikey hair and was in a band. I would wear fishnets, plaid skirts, leopard print everything, multi-colored patent leather Doc Martens and go to St. Mark's to all the punk stores to buy my stuff (Freaks and Trash & Vaudeville had the best clothes and jewelery). I had a camo bag with patches and pins and studs all over it. I liked pop punk type stuff like NOFX, the Descendents, MxPx, the Bouncing Souls, Operation Ivy, Anti-Flag and "street punk" type stuff like the Unseen, the Casualties, Violent Society, A Global Threat, etc. It's actually really funny to think about now. I thought I was so bad ass. Thank god I had cool parents who let me do whatever because it really allowed me to grow and explore and figure out who I wanted to be. Of course I went through some weird phases (at different times in my life I've been a wanna-be ghetto princess, skater girl, punk rock, raver, rockabilly, hardcore straight-edge) but it all led me to who I am today. You could never tell by looking at me that I've been into all that stuff but it's MUCH better that way. I don't look like I'm trying to play a part and I can't be pigeon-holed at a glance.

I wish I had this photo of me on my computer at work. It's me at 15, with purple hair, a plaid bondage skirt and an Unseen shirt outside a show at CBGB's. I have to dig that up and completely embarass myself. **EDIT** Found it!


This is a song from the Adolescents, I actually got this song in my head about a month ago and it caused me to tear apart my parents' house trying to find the record:

No comments:

Post a Comment