Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Never Not Working


This tee is the story of my life lately. Or not so lately. I don't mind it because I love my job, but ever since my dad left and I've been running the company I've been so engulfed in my work it's crazy. I work 6 days a week, and even sometimes 7. Just this Sunday I stopped by to check on some things. I bring work home with me (both literally and figuratively). Saturday I was out front talking to one of the parking ticket guys and he said I'm "one hard-working lady". I took that as a huge compliment because I seriously pride myself on my work ethic. This is NY and we're in a dog-eat-dog financial climate. You work as hard as you can, for as long as you can, and then, after you've made your money, you enjoy it. While you're working you take breaks when you can, go on a vacation here and there, eat good, spoil yourself sometimes and make the best of it.

My dad is a huge inspiration to me. I look at what 13 years of very hard work and dedication got him.
I say 13 years because that's how long we've been in business but he's worked his entire life to get to this point. Granted, he hasn't made the best choices in his past but he had to provide for us somehow, and look what it lead him to. He's 60 years old and is able to take the winter off and live on his boat with my mom and cruise around the islands. He's established a great business with loyal clientele (I'd go as far as to call many of them friends). He created something that I've learned and, god willing, will help me provide for my family the same way it has for us. Whenever I stop and think about where we were and where we are, I can't help but spill over with pride for him. I think that's what makes me really appreciate all he's done and what we have, because we didn't always have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment