Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm Bossy

This week has been fairly tedious, work-wise. I had to perform a bunch of boring boss-like duties, like calling the accountant, dealing with paperwork, taxes, year-end-summaries, paying bills, etc. It's my job, as the person running the corporation, to perform such duties, which is taking a lot of getting used to. By now I should be comfortable with my roll as boss-lady, and I am (for the most part), but every once in awhile it surprises me. That was my father's role here, and believe me, he has very, very large shoes to fill. He's extremely knowledgeable in our field, almost a revolutionary, and he has one of the strongest personalities I've ever known. It took me years to figure out that I can't be him, so I should stop trying and be comfortable being myself. So far, by the way things have been going this winter, our customers are accepting of, and happy with, who I am and the way I do business. It's one thing for the customers to be happy and a completely different thing for my father to be happy, but he tells me how much he is every time I speak with him.

I feel such an enormous sense of pride knowing that at 25 years old I've stepped up into a position that provides not only for Brian and me but for my parents, too. They're able to be cruising around the Bahamas on their boat, knowing that the business is fine and that they're taken care of while they're gone. It's huge. I always think about how proud my grandparents (my dad's parents) would be if they were around still. I didn't always make safe and conservative choices in my life, yet through it all they supported me and assured my dad that I would turn out fine (I think he always knew it, too, but fathers worry). I wish they could see their predictions come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment