Thursday, February 26, 2009

Food, dancing pandas, work and gardening.

There's this place by my job where I get lunch sometimes. Every time I eat there I always wonder, "Why don't I get food here more often???" Today I went there and got a sandwich called the Humungus Fungus. It sounds gross, I know, but it's delicious. From their website:" Grilled portabello mushrooms, roasted red peppers and imported aged provolone cheese on an Italian hero with pesto & balsamic vinegar." SO GOOD. Getting a good lunch at work makes my day so much better.

Another thing that makes my day better is getting ridiculous emails from Brian. For instance, I received an email with just this in the body: You might not be able to tell from that picture but it is an abnormally chubby panda, and it's actually supposed to be animated and dancing. Trust me, it's funnier when it's dancing. I love pandas so I thought that was really cute.

Work today has been a mix of busy and slow...mostly pretty slow, though. I don't mind, I pretty much always expect it to slow down this time of year (taxes, ugh) and also towards the end of the month (bills, ugh). I'm sure it will pick back up again soon. At least we have time to clean up a little and get things done. When it starts getting warmer out I like to start up some displays in the store. Yesterday I cleaned out one of my trays and domes and started some Sunflower seeds. This morning I came in and they had already cracked:

Those little white things are the roots starting to come out. Unfortunately I put them in upside down so they're going to have to right themselves. I hope. If not I'll try and help them along but I want to see if they'll do it on their own first. I'm actually really excited because I've never grown sunflowers before. I try to stick with plants that don't get too tall so I can manage them indoors, but I'm thinking of this as a challenge. I also impulsively bought some corn seeds, but I think corn indoors might be a little too ambitious. I'm still deciding, though. Last year I tried to grow Super Beefsteak tomatoes in a hydroponic setup. It didn't work out too well, two weeks in they were already growing into the light. I transplanted them to soil buckets outdoors but by that point it was too late in the season. It took them two weeks to recover from the shock of changing mediums/watering systems, and to be honest I don't think they ever 100% recovered. I got a couple of small tomatoes but not at all what I wanted. This year I'm starting them indoors in soil and then bringing them out pretty early. I've developed a serious passion for gardening but I've learned I need to take baby steps so I don't overwhelm myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment