Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sunflower Progress and Gardening Ambitions

So...my sunflowers. I have been SLACKING. Completely. I honestly can't believe how much they've grown and how fast! I took this picture about 5 minutes ago: I know it's not that great of a shot, I took it with an iPhone. I brought my Nikon with me today to take some photos but I left my USB cord home. I'll upload them soon, though. Anyway, so tomorrow will be a full six weeks from seed. If you look at my first post about them and look at them now it's crazy. Most of them have the beginnings of flowers which is awesome. I turned the lights back to 12 on / 12 off about 2 weeks ago which is generally how long it takes them to realize the days are getting shorter. With the peppers I did in the fall it only took 2 days before they started putting out flowers which was insane, that was a record for me.

As excited as I am for the outdoor season to start, I LOVE gardening indoors. You have so much more of a controlled environment. Even the environment in the store is too uncontrollable for me. The door is always opening, there is so much glass in the front window that I can't really control the photo period 100%, people can bring in pests on their clothing, there are so many things that can happen. Plus I don't have enough space to do everything I want. I have so many seeds I want to start (ok so maybe not the corn...that's a little bit too ambitious for me, that was an impulse buy):
...but with the sunflowers going they're taking up all the free space I have for displays. I can't wait until I own a house so I can dedicate an area or even build an area in the back for an indoor garden. I'm too impatient to wait for the spring.

I even bought some bulbs this year, white and blush calla lilies and pink and yellow dahlias:


I've never done bulbs before. My mom has but she's still down in the Bahamas so I can't have her help me plant them. The good thing is, she's away so I have room in her backyard to garden without her stopping me. I've read a couple of good articles about it, though, and hopefully everything will turn out ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment