Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Slow/busy days.

Today has been a pretty slow, yet productive, day at work. I had a few good customers throughout the day so I think we made a decent profit, plus we got a lot accomplished.

Brian woke up early and rented storage for these products that my uncle and grandpa patented and created. They are Executive Door Closers, basically you put one behind any door and you have a remote that will trigger it to close said door. It's ridiculous but I guess in a corporate-type setting they come in handy? I mean, they must, I ship them out all the time. My uncle was actually quoted as saying that after the invention of this door closer, the thought of getting up to manually close a door was "repulsive." He moved to Cali at a very young age, we don't judge him. Just kidding California, I love you. If it weren't for work and family I'd totally have moved to San Diego already.

Anyway, so we have these units...and I'm not talking a few little boxes. Basically they arrived here in giant wooden crates from China (think crime movies where they discover drugs/guns smuggled in crates...that's what these looked like, minus the drugs and guns) and take up ohhhh I'd say a 7'x9'x10' space in the back corner of our warehouse (ps: warehouse means adjacent storefront that we use to keep our stock). There is a possibility that 12 pallets of really big and heavy things are coming tomorrow. Couple that with the fact that I have 3 big orders that are waiting to be picked up and taking up massive amounts of space, I have a bunch of big items sitting around that I'm waiting to return to one of our distributors and I have an entire corner that we're not using for actual business-related things. I should've gotten these out of here a long time ago but I felt bad and wanted to be a good niece and help my family. My dad initially said he'd only help my uncle for a year, so I don't feel toooo bad moving this stuff, especially since we've been storing and shipping it for free for 2 1/2 years while my uncle and his friend (who also owns part of the company) collect the money. Plus we seriously NEED the space. I also forgot to mention that we had a flood a couple years ago and never moved any of the boxes, just claimed the bottom layer as a loss, so the first layer of boxes are moldy and gross, along with the floor underneath them (we put down plastic first but that really didn't do much when the laundromat next door overflowed about 6 inches of water into the warehouse). Needless to say, it was a fun day.

Plus I got some check-writing out of the way, two guys from one of the main companies we deal with in Canada came in and we bs'd for awhile. I'd actually never met them before, but I'd "known" one of them for years from calling all the time. He taught me how to fix one of the units they make without having to ship it all the way to Canada and back, which honestly makes my life and my customers' lives SO much easier.

So that was my day. Now I'm just waiting for B to get back from the storage place (he's been back and forth all day) and then I think some customers are coming by after-hours to pick some stuff up so I'm going to be sticking around for awhile. I think. It would be nice if they filled me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment