Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tick Tock

Time. It seems like no matter who you ask, people always want more time. I constantly hope that tomorrow I will wake up and there are suddenly more hours in the day.

I am blessed with the fact that my job doesn't "officially" start until 11am, but not so blessed because that means absolutely nothing. I usually either have a ton of paperwork to take care of before we open, or a customer calls me and asks me to come in early. Which is, in and of itself, ridiculous...much like the majority of my customers.

I work 6 days a week just so I am available for everyone. I figure our hours have a wide enough range that everyone, regardless of their schedule, can find time to come and purchase their goods. This doesn't stop them from, at least 4 out of the 6 days per week, calling and asking me to stay late/come in early for them. Depending on how much I like them and how good of a mood they catch me in, I will probably say yes. But if you're a pain in the ass or I've had a shitty day, forget it. "These are my hours, Monday-Saturday. You can't make it, too bad."

My favorite is when they call my cell after hours to have me COME BACK to the store after I've already gone home for the day. Case in point: last week one day I worked about an hour and a half late. After work I went to Staples to pick up some supplies to bring with me to the store the next day. I was in the parking lot and my Nextel started going off (yes, I actually had to cheat on my iPhone and get a cheap work phone just so I could turn it off on the weekends/vacation), it was a guy asking me to come back to the store so he could pick up an order. It was already 8:30pm at this point, I had just spent more time than necessary there, I just wanted to go home, eat dinner with Brian and sit on my couch. So...I lied to him. I told him his order was in the warehouse which gets locked up at 7pm so he couldn't get his stuff even if I said yes, which I assured him I would have. I seem like the good guy and I don't have to go back to work...win, win. Anyway, this happens often. Absolutely insane. I think anyone else would be a lot meaner than I am about it.

Oh! Another favorite: they call me on Sundays asking me to come in. Sundays are sacred to me and not in the religious sense. It's my day for: peace, quiet, chores, fun, family, etc...everything BUT work. I would have to REALLY like you or feel totally compassionate to come in to work on a Sunday, or if you want to spend a lot of money...maybe. It would take a lot.

I'm learning to say no more. It was another New Years' resolution of mine, to put myself before the business more. What good is running a successful business if you can't take the time to live, breathe and enjoy yourself? Or at least do laundry, cook meals and return phone calls?

No comments:

Post a Comment