Thursday, July 16, 2009

New Makeup. (aka my least favorite thing to shop for.)

Tuesday I went to Sephora after work to try and find new summer makeup. I have three shopping trips I hate making: new makeup, new jeans, new bras. I don't know why but they're all awful, almost always. Makeup especially. You're trying to apply, with precision, things in these brightly lit, imperfection-magnifying mirrors. The whole experience, when broken down, is really just how you're unhappy with your natural self and want to hide/change/fake your appearance. Unless you're perfect and want to "enhance" your perfect beauty. Ugh.

I ended up being pretty successful, though, no thanks to any of the sales people. When I was 19-20ish I worked at Sephora. My specialty was fragrance (my dad and bf constantly make fun of my super-human sense of smell, saying that "the nose knows"). However, if they were short-staffed I'd be thrown into cosmetics which I know, admittedly, close to NOTHING about. I'd try and sound like I knew what I was talking about but most of the time it was bullshit. Anyway, I was asking the sales girl for oil-free bronzer, which is absolutely necessary if I don't want my face to look like an oil-slick at my non-air conditioned job. She showed me 3-4 different bronzers, none of which I thought were oil-free (Calvin Klein, Sephora brand, etc.). I told her I'd find her if I needed anything else and went and read the ingredients. Every single one of them had multiple types of oil in them. Great, thanks, I've got it from here. After many applications and re-applications, I left with a new powder (Stay-Matte from Clinique), new bronzer (Park Avenue Princess from Tarte...I later realized that I look like a giant golden metallic robot, so that's getting returned ASAP), a travel kabuki brush from Tarte (<3LOVE<3), some spot treatment from Clinique, a new foundation from Clinique, Sugar lip conditioner from Fresh (best ever, I can't live without this stuff!) and a free deluxe sample of guava body butter from Sephora (so yummy, I love it).

Slightly less painful than I was anticipating. Let's see if I actually wear this stuff, though. I always try out new makeup and end up quickly reverting back to what I'm used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment