Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wedding down, Honeymoon to go. Day 1.

Our wedding was this past Saturday, June 11th, and was literally the best day of my life. It went without a flaw (I had read an article that at least 3 things would go wrong and to just expect it...), everything was beautiful and everyone had a great time. Success! More on that at a later date.

I had meant to buy a travel journal before our honeymoon but with all the chaos of planning a wedding, I completely forgot. I will be keeping track of the day to day events here so I can write them down later. We left first thing Sunday morning for our honeymoon to St. Barts. After having a few drinks Saturday night I was kind of a zombie the next morning and I still had to pack. I made the car service sit outside my apt. for 20 minutes while I scrambled around but thankfully didn't forget anything important. Got anxiety on the plane (nothing new) so I took a Xanax for the first time in like 8 years (I learned how to deal with my anxiety on my own but certain situations, plane rides being one of them, take me to that next level where I can't even handle it) and it helped tremendously. I calmed down enough to stop freaking out and finally fell asleep, waking up in St. Maarten. We transferred to a puddle-jumper (minor baggage transfer issue but it worked out) and were in St. Barts 15 minutes later.

This is our first time here and it's very exciting! David from our hotel picked us up at the airport and gave us some important island info on the way back to our hotel. We're staying at Hotel Le Toiny, which is absolutely gorgeous. It's not on the beach but we have our own pool right outside of our door on the porch and insane views of the hills and ocean. They had champagne, fruit and coconut cake waiting for us when we got to our room which was perfect, it gave us a chance to sit and chill and just take it all in. We unpacked, then got ready for dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Le Gaiac, which is supposedly one of the best restaurants on St. Barts. In NY, French food is definitely not our go-to when it comes to choosing restaurants, but when in St. Barts...

This trip has definitely opened our eyes because the food here is DELICIOUS. We had an amuse-bouche of tomato gazpacho in a shot glass with a straw and some sort of gelee on a cracker. Very good. For an appetizer I ordered the Mahi Mahi ceviche which I'd never had before...so good, I shared with Brian and we devoured it. He got the crab meat and avocado which was served over some sort of tomato, also delicious. They gave us a passion fruit ice in between which I really wish was on the dessert menu because I would have ordered it. As an entree I ordered the carrot ravioli with ginger, Brian ordered a whole local lobster that they had freshly caught. Both were amazing, we were in awe of how good the food was. For dessert we ordered the sorbet quartet and the ice cream quartet. I had the most unusual and incredible sorbet...pineapple and basil. I could eat this all day, every day. The bill came, our first of the trip, and all I can say that the dollar-to-euro exchange rate is not friendly to Americans! Oh well, we only get one honeymoon!

We went back to the hotel and were so surprised to see that they turned down our bed while we were at dinner. Definitely a 5-star hotel, I've never had that kind of service anywhere. We were so exhausted from the wedding, our traveling and suffering from a slight food coma due to dinner that we went straight to bed. At 10:30pm. Unheard of for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment